UNC Charlotte provides Wi-Fi access for faculty, staff, students, and guests of the University. 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless Access Points are installed in most locations around campus and will continue to expand throughout 2012-2013.
- Wireless users have access to basic Internet services such as web browsing, email, and VPN access.
- Wireless printing, lab software, instant messaging, and peer-to-peer file sharing are not available via the campus wireless network
Wireless Options at UNC Charlotte
UNC Charlotte provides two options for people who need wireless access while on campus. In order to access the wireless network while on campus you will need the following:
- A computer, tablet, or mobile phone with Wi-Fi capabilities
- Any web browser that supports 128-bit encryption
NinerWiFi-Secure provides secure wireless access for UNC Charlotte faculty, staff, and students by using your NinerNET username and password. UNC Charlotte uses a 3rd party configuration utility provided by Cloudpath Networks, called XpressConnect, to automatically configure user’s devices to connect to NinerWiFi-Secure.
- All connections are secured using dynamic session-based CCMP-AES-128 encryption keys
- A valid NinerNET username and password is required to access the network
Click here to automatically configure your device
- OR -
Scan this QR code with your smartphone:
For detailed configuration instructions, click here.
Uncc49er provides unencrypted wireless access for guests of UNC Charlotte and also for UNC Charlotte faculty, staff, and students whose devices do no support WPA2-Enterprise encryption/authentication. Users connected to uncc49er are rate-limited at 2Mbps.
- Wireless data encryption not enabled, which means any data transmitted will not be encrypted
- You are only required to enter an Email address and agree to the terms and conditions.
- Note: It is strongly recommended that you do not view or communicate sensitive information when using wireless unless you are using VPN.
If you need a secure wireless connection, encryption is available via a Virtual Private Network (VPN) tunnel.
Download the Cisco VPN software (UNC Charlotte Faculty & Staff Only)
- Start wireless client
- Select uncc49er network
- Open a web browser
- Enter email address in the Guest field and agree to terms and conditions
Which wireless network should I use?
- Faculty, staff, and students should always try to use NinerWiFi-Secure.
- Faculty, staff, and students should only use uncc49er if they are using a device that does not support WPA2-Enterprise encryption/authentication.
- Guests only have access to uncc49er.