Trend Micro Antivirus is available to all UNC Charlotte students.
Avoiding Scams, Malware & Bots
- What is a phishing scam?
Bogus email messages may ask you to “update,” “validate,” or “confirm” your account information. Operators can steal your identity and run up bills or commit crimes in your name.
- What is malware?
Malicious software can spread via email, the web and USB devices and compromise your computer security putting your personal identity and information at risk.
- What are bots and botnets?
Malicious software can use your computer to send spam, adult content and malware without your knowledge.
A virus spreads very quickly and antivirus software can only be a reactive solution against a newly spawned virus.
- Install an antivirus software program and scan email attachments and software before opening
- Install the latest security updates for Windows or Mac operating systems
- Be cautious of email attachments, even when you know the sender
- Turn off file sharing programs like BitTorrent. Remember downloading copyrighted material violates Appropriate Use and University Policy