Yes. 49er Express uses SSL/TLS encryption to guard against various security threats including eavesdropping and impersonation. If the information is sensitive, 49er Express will use encryption.
To improve speed and performance, 49er Express does not encrypt navigation oriented pages. As users navigate around 49er Express, the address bar will switch between secure (
https://) and non-secure (
http://) URLs. This reflects how 49er Express will take the appropriate steps to secure sensitive content and operations.
When users visit the 49er Express Login page, depending on the browser, either a lock icon will be found in the address bar, and/or the URL will start with "
https://". To protect passwords, 49er Express uses the secure protocol to prevent eavesdropping on the connection. However, after log in, the lock disappears and/or the URL switches to "
Non-Secure Pages Containing Secure iFrames:
A number of links within 49er Express will securely log in users and redirect the browser to other UNC Charlotte services. These services include NinerMail, Banner Self Service, and Moodle. In most cases, a new browser tab opens for the requested service, e.g. NinerMail and Moodle.
One exception is Banner Self Service. 49er Express securely logs users into Banner Self Service as it does with other services to protect user credentials. Unlike other services, it provides a page that uses inline frames (iframe) to present 49er Express navigation at the top of the page and Banner Self Service at the bottom of the page. The page containing the iframes does not use a secure connection and the address bar shows a URL starting with "
http://". However, the iframe for Banner Self Service does use "
https://" to protect student, personnel and financial data. This is not readily apparent without taking extra steps to verify that the Banner Self Service iframe is secure.
Here are steps to verify secure connection for the Banner Self Service iframe:
- Log into 49er Express
- Click on a link to Banner Self Service
- Students can use the link "Click here for Banner Self Service" found on the "My 49er" tab, in the "Billing/Financial Aid/Self Service" channel in the left most column.
- Faculty or staff can use the link "Banner Self Service" found on the "Employee Home" tab, in the "Employee & Benefits" channel in the left most column
- Move the cursor onto the browser window anywhere underneath the Banner Self Service tabs. The first tab should be "Personal Information".
For Internet Explorer:
- Right-click and select "Properties"
- Review the URL in the "Address: (URL)" field, it should begin with "
- Right-click and select the "This Frame" menu and then the item "View Frame Info"
- Review the URL in the "Address:" field, it should begin with "