In addition to the individual services provided to faculty, staff, students and guests, ITS provides other resources to IT Partners working in the colleges and departments. Contact the IT Service Desk with questions.
Accounts and Access
- Active Directory enables secure access to central and departmental applications using NinerNET credentials, access can be provided to IT Partners.
- Duo two factor authentication can be requested for any department, particularly those that work with sensitive data. Duo FAQs.
- Shibboleth Single Sign-On is available for authentication. Shibboleth Info.
- Sponsored Guest Accounts can be requested for a guest to receive a temporary NinerNET account. Sponsored Guest FAQs.
- Apple computers can be purchased through the NinerTech Store.
- Bulk computer purchasing can be facilitated by ITS.
- Casper is used to manage many University Apple computers and iPads.
- Dell computer catalog in 49erMart is maintained by ITS and shows the CPI standards. Special orders can be made by contacting the Dell sales rep for a quote.
- Disposal/surplusing old computers/media is the joint responsibility of the hardware and/or media owner and the department/college. Standard for Hardware and Media Disposal.
- UNC Combined Pricing Initiative (CPI) combines the purchasing power of 17 UNC institutions to get volume discounts on PC equipment purchases and related services.
- Microsoft Software Center & Configuration Manager (SCCM) is used to manage PCs and distribute University licensed software.
- Trend Anti-Virus software is installed on all University computers. ITS routinely works with IT Partners to clean up infected machines.
- ITS reviews vendor cloud-based software contracts, enterprise agreements and software that has to be integrated with university systems.
Desktop Software, Licensing & Distribution
- ITS centrally manages enterprise licenses including Adobe, Banner, Canvas, Dropbox, Google, Kaltura, Mathmatica, Microsoft, SPSS, SAS and Trend Anti-Virus. Enterprise Software FAQ.
- Applications are distributed using Microsoft Software Center (Windows) and Casper (Macs).
- ITS currently supports Windows 7 and 10, Mac OS 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, 10.9 and 10.10.
- IT Partners are typically involved in changes, initiatives and projects as testers and/or early adopters.
- License key servers are maintained by ITS for centrally managed and specialized software applications.
- Standard faculty, staff, lab, thin clients and PCI-Compliant software images are maintained and distributed by ITS.
- Team Viewer remote control software is available.
- Department Gmail accounts can be requested. Generic Accounts FAQs.
- Google Groups can be requested to help with collaboration and communication. Google Group FAQs.
- LabStats provides lab and software usage stats; it's centrally managed by ITS and available to lab managers.
- Internet 2 sponsored education participant. Internet2 Info. University Network FAQs.
- Network Design Services for renovations or expansion.
- Firewall Access Requests can be made for server access. Firewall Access Form.
- Call Center software is provided to University departments that receive a large volume of requests by telephone.
- Print Server is maintained by ITS.
- ITS works with IT Partners on securing devices including virus and malware clean-up, encryption and securing data.
- The Change Advisory Board (CAB) meets the first Tuesday of every month in Atkins Library 271. Change Management Procedure.
- Cherwell Service Management Solution is used for service and incident request tracking, change management and problem management. It is used by central ITS and some campus partners. Cherwell Info.
Server Management, Hosting & Backups
- Automatic backup and recovery service can be requested.
- UNC Charlotte has partnered with the InCommon Certificate Service to provide unlimited SSL certificates to UNC Charlotte colleges and departments. The back-end Certificate Authority is Comodo. InCommon Certificates FAQs. InCommon Certificate Manager Login
- Virtual Windows and Red Hat Linux servers can be requested, housed and maintained in ITS Data Centers.
- Server Monitoring is available using Zabbix.
- ITS provides access to Spaces knowledge base for team collaboration including ITS FAQs, internal knowledge base and spaces information.
- Drupal is the content management system used for University web pages.
- Web Hosting services are also available. Web Hosting Info.