The VPN Service is split into two main profiles.
- All faculty and staff can use the VPN to get access to internal websites via HTTP and HTTPS and to mount the H:\, J:\ and S:\ drives.
- The vpn.uncc.edu/banner profile is for the faculty and staff that need INB access to Banner. When you contact your direct supervisor to request this Banner INB access, part of this request will enable Banner INB remote access. Once you have this access, you will use vpn.uncc.edu/banner for your VPN access. This VPN profile provides all of the basic faculty and staff access and Banner INB access.
Additional access can be granted for specialized department needs and for remote access to a specific workstation. Contact the ITS Service Desk if this additional access is needed.
Faculty and staff can access these services without a VPN:
- Library.uncc.edu and Library resources
- Mail.uncc.edu (OWA)
- Outlook with an @uncc.edu email address configured
- ITS software downloads
- H, S and J drives using myfiles
Visit https://vpn.uncc.edu to download the Cisco AnyConnect client. Once installed, you will see a Cisco folder in your Program Files (Windows) or in your Applications folder (Mac OS X). Anytime you wish to connect after the first time, you can simply locate the application that was installed, launch the program, and type ‘vpn.uncc.edu’ or ‘vpn.uncc.edu/banner’. To disconnect from the VPN session, right click on the icon in the Taskbar (Windows) or Menu Bar (Mac OS X) and select “Quit” or “Disconnect”.
iOS devices can also download Cisco AnyConnect from the Apple Store.
- Once connected you will lose connectivity to all local assets (network printers, network storage devices, etc..)
- The VPN service may not allow you to some assets and services that you might normally have access to while on-campus at your workstation.
- If you require specialized access that is not available while connect to the VPN service, please contact your direct supervisor to request the specific services (IP address and port numbers that you need). The WEBVPN or a special VPN profile might need to be used or created for the specialized access that you require.
Use of this service is conditional on compliance with the University's Computing Network Policies.